Fight tooth loss with preventive dental care in Cleveland, OH
We at Downtown Dental Services believe the “best treatment” is “no treatment.” Preventive care at our Cleveland, OH office is built on a foundation of consistent, routine professional cleanings and dental examinations. Dr. Tony Lu blends this relationship-based approach with the latest and safest technologies that modern dentistry has to offer; for instance, the CariVu™ cavity detection system precisely and clearly identifies early-stage decay without radiation. Generally, this blended approach results in the proactive and prompt identification of conditions ranging from cavities (tooth decay) to periodontal disease (gum disease). Early detection and identification of oral diseases is important, because:
- Oral diseases are often “silent” or asymptomatic in their earliest stages
- Sometimes, the symptoms that are present are subtle. So, the patient may not think the slight discomfort or sensitivity is worth a special trip to the dentist.
- By the time the problem produces undeniable symptoms, it has likely progressed to the point where restorative treatment is necessary.
- Restorative treatment is largely more time-consuming, invasive, and costly than preventative services.
- Preventive services are also conservative. They preserve natural tooth structure, which is the best tooth structure. While dental materials and techniques can replicate very lifelike tooth structure, a natural (healthy) tooth is still the pinnacle in terms of form and function.
The standard for all patients, regardless of risk, is to visit us once every six months. During these visits, Dr. Lu examines your teeth, gums, and other oral structures. What he cannot see, such as “hidden” decay, can be seen with sophisticated diagnostics. The conditions he detects with a trained eye and the right technology may produce slight symptoms if symptoms are present at all. Your dentist will also screen for lumps, bumps, and other abnormalities that could indicate mouth cancers.
During your appointment, specialized instruments will be used to remove plaque and tartar build-up from the teeth and gumline. A deep cleaning may be warranted for patients with active gum disease. Laser technologies are also available to gently remove bacteria from underneath the gumline and to encourage healthy reattachment of the gums to the teeth. Dental sealants, oral splints, and other preventive services may be recommended based on your needs and based off what Dr. Lu finds during your check-up. Do not delay. Contact us to schedule your visit.